Home improvement is the key to enhancing your home's value and increasing its ever-elusive curb appeal.
Of course, you probably already know that, but what you might not know is that upgrading your property doesn't have to be expensive or time-consuming. The right DIY home improvement projects improve your home, add value, and bring buyers to your door.
- Improve Your Landscaping
Why hire a professional landscaper? You can save money by trimming, mulching, planting, and decorating your own home into a garden showplace. With one trip to your local garden shop or hardware store, you can get everything you need to give your landscape the wow factor home buyers love.
• Design your dream landscape, and then bring it to life.
• Seed your lawn. Cut back overgrown bushes so buyers can see your home.
• Add seasonal color with potted and hanging flowers.
• Enhance your landscape with solar lights and pavers that save energy.
- Beautify Your Bathroom
You spend an awful lot of time in the bathroom. It should be a beautiful sanctuary that increases your home's value, not a shabby refuge. Change your perceptions and add value with these DIY home improvement projects.
• Install trendy light fixtures.
• Replace your sink with a designer vanity and a marble bowl.
• Install a copper or chrome faucet and metal-coordinated accessories.
• Eliminate unfortunate color choices with white wall paint.
- Welcome Light into Your Home
If you have large windows that allow natural light into your home, lucky you. If you don't have large windows, try these light-enhancing projects.
• Install brighter light fixtures.
• Paint your walls white and replace your drapes with neutral-colored blinds.
• Remove some furniture to open up your space.
- Up Your Energy Efficiency
Green technologies save money, increase home values, and reduce your carbon footprint. When a potential buyer queries your utility company about your average energy bill, they'll like what they hear. You can perform several green upgrades yourself.
• Replace light bulbs with energy-efficient versions.
• Replace your stove, refrigerator, and small kitchen appliances with models rated high for energy savings.
• Install solar-powered exterior lights.
• Repair window seals to minimize hot/cold air exchange.
- Modernize Your Kitchen
Home buyers love grand spacious kitchens. Even if your kitchen isn't as big as a buyer desires, you can complete these DIY projects to make it irresistibly grand.
• Redo your kitchen floor with trendy wood-look, gray, wide-plank, or natural wood tiles.
• Upgrade your stove, refrigerator, and dishwasher with popular stainless steel or black steel models.
• Install a farmhouse sink and faucet for a country modern workspace.
• Replace your countertops with granite. You'll need someone to measure and cut the openings and a buddy to help you lift them into place.|
- Make Your Home Intelligent
Guys like gadgets. Okay, ladies like gadgets too. With a little time and effort, you can make your home gadget central. Internet-connected and digitally enhanced appliances and devices give your home an intriguing, high-tech feel.
• Install a Wi-Fi-connected refrigerator.
• Replace your stove with an intelligent version that lets you control cooking remotely.
• Upgrade your home security system with cameras that let you watch your home and interact with visitors wherever you are.
• Connect your coffeemaker to your alarm clock to brew your coffee when you wake up.
With these fixes, buyers will be flocking to your property and making top offers. And remember, it's not always the costly changes that give the best ROI, so consult your real estate agent about which home improvement changes will be better suited for your home.